Tuesday 17 February 2009

Visit to the seaside.

The other day, very soon after receiving my new lens, Jo and I decided to take a visit to a nearby coastal town.

We dined at the most magnificent MacDonalds, and then took a stroll around, over a bridge and back again to our car.

Every time I drive into this town I always love the boat that greets you as you enter - and since I've had my camera, I always say - every time - I really MUST take a few shots of it!

Well today was perfect, so I thought I'd show you what it looks like.



What I love about this old boat is the ropes. You can see over the years where new ropes have been added and tied together, and the wonderful colour of the rust just adds to the whole feeling of a boat that's been loved for a long time.




This next shot is one of my favourites, if not my favourite shot. I wanted to capture the vivid blue of the old tarpaulins, and the ropes hanging, what with the rust in the foreground, it makes for a great view!



It started to turn really cold - especially with the wind chill, so we decided to make our way back to the car. Walking across the bridge, we noticed the timber moorings and decked area across the other side;



..one thing I said I wanted to do with my new lens, was to catch a bird in flight - this one is an ordinary Seagull, but I was amazed at how good the zoom was on my 55-200mm lens, after I had a closer look at this shot!



All in all it was a great afternoon, I really enjoyed myself - and Jo did too - albeit a little on the chilly side!

;)

12 comments:

Carol Q said...

fab pics Stiggy. love the contrast of the blue against the rust.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stiggy
Im pretty sure I left you a comment last night, not sure what happened there :0

Glad you had a lovely outing, it certainly looks like a lovely place to visit with plenty of photographic interest.

I can see why you like the boat, your photos of it are stunning.
The seagull shot is not easy to do, so I guess your learning the art of panning.

;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Stiggy,

I've only been reading your blog for a short while but your photos are incredible.

Stiggy said...

Thanks Carol - it's such a fantastic mix of colours isn't it!?

:D

Cheers Karen - you left me one on my Birthday post - is that the one you meant? If not I sometimes do the same. (I get confused easily these days!).

It's great living where we live - there are so many (TOO many!) opportunities to go out to wonderful places and scenery!

I hope to share more of them as I progress!

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop!

:D

Stiggy said...

Hi Jo,
how very nice to meet you.

Thank you for your kind comment about my photos, I'm only a beginner, but hope to improve this year!

I see from your blog that you're from South Wales - where part of MY family comes from waaaay back - Kidwelly... do you know it?

Thanks for visiting, I hope you enjoy your visit!

:D

Debbie said...

Your photo's are wonderful! I try to carry my camera with me wherever I go, unfortunately its not as nice as yours. Maybe someday Santa will visit me and leave a new one!

Looking forward to more pics.

Debbie

Stiggy said...

Awww thanks Debbie!

You know, the Nikon D40 has come right down in price since I've had mine (typical eh!?). It's now around the £200 mark.

Let's hope Santa comes early eh!?

;)

Anonymous said...

I've never been into Kidwelly itself though - like everyone else with a local (well, local-ish, it *is* Wales!) town I have been past many times with out ever stopping. Hmm, maybe I should the next time I go past!

Ruth said...

Nicely done, Stiggy. I like that shot that you like too, the blue is sparkly!

The quality of your lens must be very good to get that clarity in the seagull. My zoom lens is an inexpensive model, and so I have to work at good shots. Not that I mind. :)

Stiggy said...

Jo - There is a lovely castle in Kidwelly, I visited there about 9 years ago or so. trying to trace some of my family.

Ruth, It's a 55-200mm VR DX Nikon lens. It sure is a very nice lens - although now I want one that zooms even MORE!!!

lol!

:D

Anonymous said...

I tip my hat to you again sir, fantastic photo's. I love to see bright coloured boats all textured with rust and weather beaten ropes.

More please !!

Your seagull shot looks really good, I want to try this myself.

Regards

Stiggy
http://stiggyblog.wordpress.com

Stiggy said...

You really are too kind Steve - remeber I've been to YOUR blog - so I know how good YOU are!

:D

Feel free Steve to give critique on my photos - I appreciate any help I can get.