Sunday 30 March 2008

It has to start somewhere....

Well I guess there has to be ONE first post, so this may as well be it!

When we decided to move, I was extremely excited - I mean like schoolboy excited - in my own head I had already built my 'super shed' and fitted it with the most up to date power tools, gadgets, made a workshop for my motorbikes and set up a bar in the corner for my new found friends from my sons school gate club (men only of course!).

The reality of the move started to take it's toll though, as one after another the property information sheets started to drip through our letterbox.

It wasn't as if we didn't know what we wanted, because we did - we wanted a bungalow close to where we live that had a large garden so we could build maybe an outside office, or that had potential to extend, so at last we could have enough room for all our stuff. The main reason for needing this space was to give our oldest son his own space, and to allow us to get all the equipment he needs. (Zak is 17 has Cerebral Palsy, is in a chair and is brilliant at IT - think Stephen Hawking).

We had wondered if such a place existed in our local area, but we had seen a VERY nice place up North near to where my wife had been born which had made us think very carefully whether we should stay down South or up sticks and make a new start.

We had become really deflated, and did wonder if we were asking too much.....

....UNTIL one day my wife saw this property on a website that made her jump up and get very excited!

This property was a 1930'2 bungalow, had been extended to allow the owners mother to live in an annexe with a separate entrance, AND came with approx 1.5 acres of land!! The best bit about the property though was that it was literally at the other end of the village we live in - so our youngest son would still be able to go to the same school.

We phoned up the estate agents and pretty much went straight round there, fell in love with the place and just KNEW we had to live there. The property had good potential for further extending which meant that not only did Zak have his own batchelor flat that could be optimised for him, there was enough room for Kane to have his own bedroom and playroom, Jo had space for her crafting......

......and I had my very own 10'x20' nice, dry, accessible SHED!

5 comments:

Carol Q said...

my other half would die for a workshop shed like that!

Karin said...

Wonderful shed, have you started on the bar yet?

joanne wardle said...

nice shed!! cool how often do you get to use a phrase like that!

Gillian .... said...

I can see your going to use this shed well, look forward to updates on how this hideaway progresses:)

deb said...

Nice hideaway, I mean shed, lol. Hope you have many happy hours in there.